Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The inability to read anything anymore. Ever.

Maybe it's just today and the fact that I didn't sleep much last night and that I worked out hard yesterday and twice today, but I just cannot read anything about the philosophy of religion right now!

Two sentences in, while David Hume is using Cleanthes and Demea to argue about something I can't comprehend, I feel the familiar smack of my forehead making contact with my keyboard.

So I redouble my efforts, get up to walk around, then sit back down. But like clockwork after two sentences suddenly Cleanthes is wearing a toga and telling Demea to pick up the box of birthday hats next to him and I know that I've stopped reading the real article a few minutes ago.

So what am I doing now? Blogging, first. But more than that I think you just need to know when to quite, how to apply my time effectively to get the most done. Sure I could sit here for the next two hours and struggle through another 1/3 of the article and remember none of it. I would tell myself I did something but I would have accomplished nothing. Like my friend says, work without progress.

So I'm moving on to something else, something more engaging. Hopefully this way I can actually get some things done tonight, get to bed early, wake up early, and read that article with a fresh mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment